Posts Tagged ‘Rods’

The conversion gets a little complicated trying to pipe up all of the required lines in so little space. Also having an exposed cam belt running within around 15mm away from a radiator bottom hose can be a little daunting. ¬†We now have 2 10mm drain lines, a 25mm drain line from head to block sump. A block breather, a head breather and the modified bottom and top radiator hoses. The hoses that i used for the head drain lines need to be a minimum of 3/8″ or 10mm. The head main drain is 25mm. I used black silicone hoses for the oil and water applications on the engine with nylon hose joiners. A selection of 90, 45 and 180 formed hoses were used to hose up the engine.

Cooling

photo 2-5

photo 4-3

photo 5

As the pictures show the radiator fan is very close running to the head breather pipework at this point the choice was made to run an electric fan mounted to the outside of the radiator to free up some much needed space. Brackets in the pictures above also are for mock up only.

 

Advertisements

So again due to lack of time at present the engine project has been on the back burner for another month. But on friday i opened up the parts that had been returned from Chris and got the build underway. I picked up new big end, mains and thrust bearings from Mini spares centre Midlands on Friday afternoon and got the crank and mains in and torqued down on friday night.

This morning i started early’ish and managed to get the rods and pistons in. Time was taken with this and it all went smoothly should i say myself.

I have mocked up the basic engine to get some more pictures to show viewers following this. I tried to pick up a water pump today but couldn’t find anywhere local with one in stock. Ill grab one of these next week now from Mini spares and then carry out the modifications to the top edge and alloy web removal.

I did come across a couple of niggles, i still need to modify the original camshaft to allow oil flow to the cams. I spoke to John at SC in the week regarding this and he was helpful and sent me over a picture showing how SC tackle the modification. Ill add a picture of this on maybe the next post. Also one of the bottom plate mounting holes to the man journal cap drilling is slightly off with my block so this will need a modification to address the issue. The head studs all have to be cut down in the 8v head configuration so an estimated 10mm will need to be taken off these for clearance purposes.

So theres plenty of work left to get through but the projects coming together nicely now…. finally.

Click on thumbnails for full size pics.

Cheers

Ad

Crank_1

IMG_1611

IMG_1613

IMG_1615

IMG_1617

IMG_1619

IMG_1625

IMG_1627

IMG_1631